Thursday, November 13, 2008

Unsolved Mysteries

When I was growing up, I liked the show "Unsolved Mysteries." It was a scary-but-not-too-scary show for a kid, sometimes had cool stuff on things like the Loch Ness Monster, etc. Plus, the baby brother of a kid I knew was used in a cheesy reenactment for a segment on a demonic haunted house in Horicon, Wis. - not for from my hometown.

A few years ago, mostly unedited reruns started airing on Lifetime. I always wondered if there was still someone staffing the phone line, or picking up mailed-in tips, for these crimes that were 10 or 15 years old. Every so often I'd flip through channels and catch part of an episode, which, of course, was heavily interspersed with promo ads proclaiming: "Lifetime, television for women." Ugh.

Now I see that reruns of Unsolved Mysteries, with a new host, and new graphics and music that are ... would the term be?... "amped up," are airing on Spike - the cable channel aimed at men ages 18-35. I caught a bit of an episode, and it still had the same cheesy reenactments. But now there are promo ads for ultimate fighting events. Here is the link to the new-look show's Web site.

I guess I can feel better about watching it now.

No comments: